The Manufacturing Engineer position is responsible for the development, deployment and sustainment of manufacturing value stream processes, lean manufacturing processes, and equipment designed to support the operations strategy of the business. This includes fabrication, welding, blasting, cleaning, blast, paint, assembly and shipping operations. The Manufacturing Engineer will be responsible for maintaining processes centered around lean and will ensure that safety, quality, delivery, productivity, and cost are at the center of all decisions and improvement initiatives.
Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
• Develop and review process controls, tooling and fixtures designs in order to ensure safety of people and the quality, and repeatability of product.
• Determine root causes of failures and recommend changes in designs, tolerances, or processing methods.
• Investigate or resolve operational problems, such as material use variances or bottlenecks.
• Utilize metal fabrication, welding and materials expertise to guide and mentor Manufacturing team to implement mistake proofing control methods in order to increase quality, productivity and reduce costs of manufacturing.
• Implement value stream processes, improving TAKT time, increasing productivity, and reducing lead times.
• Work closely with design engineering to ensure new products are designed for manufacturability.
• Define and implement programming, test, and lean manufacturing best practices and scalable processes including Standard Work, SMED, Visual Factory, 6S, and TPM.
• Work with contractors in testing product to ensure towing safety.
• Support equipment acquisition, installation, start-up and maintenance including coordinating with internal maintenance and reliability team and external vendors.
• Support manufacturing with programs for automated machines like but not limited to laser, press brake robotic welding, tube plasma cutters etc.
• Lean the Bill of Material creation process in the ERP system.
• Participate in GEMBA walks, LDM and kaizen events
• Travel up to 25% required
• All other duties assigned by management
• Excellent communication skills in both written and spoken formats
• Experience implementing lean work cells in a manufacturing environment
• Ability to optimize fabrication equipment, tool design experience
• Experience with lasers, press brakes, tube cutting, plasma cutting, powder coating, blasting, and welding automation a plus.
• Must have superb problem solving and project management skills
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize both daily issues and strategic projects
• Must have high aptitude for mechanics
• Ability to work closely with department supervision and production workers
• BS in Engineering (industrial or mechanical preferred)
• 1+ years of experience in an Manufacturing Engineering role
• Lean Trained – certification a plus
• Metal working industry experience
• Experience in an ERP environment
• Experience with SolidWorks and CAD
• MS Office Applications (Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, Outlook, etc…) proficiency required
• Must possess current and valid driving record with clear history for the past three years