The Automation Engineer will be responsible for driving manufacturing automation initiatives and integrating existing robotics systems within the organization. This role requires a strong background in automation engineering, robotics integration, and process optimization. The engineer will collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify automation opportunities, develop innovative solutions, and implement efficient automation processes to improve productivity and quality.
Position Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Identify opportunities for automation within the manufacturing processes and develop strategic plans for implementation.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to assess automation needs, evaluate existing processes, and identify areas for improvement.
- Design and develop automation solutions, including the integration of robotics, to optimize manufacturing efficiency, quality, and cost-effectiveness.
- Conduct feasibility studies and cost analyses to determine the return on investment (ROI) for automation projects.
- Collaborate with vendors and suppliers to select, procure, and integrate automation equipment, robotics systems, and software solutions.
- Develop and maintain standard operating procedures (SOPs) and work instructions for automated manufacturing processes.
- Program, configure, and optimize robotic systems to perform specific tasks, ensuring accuracy, efficiency, and safety.
- Conduct testing and troubleshooting of automation systems to identify and resolve technical issues and optimize performance.
- Collaborate with the manufacturing and engineering teams to ensure seamless integration of automation systems into existing production lines.
- Develop and implement robust quality control measures for automated processes, including inspection and testing protocols.
- Train production personnel on the operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of automated equipment and robotics systems.
- Monitor and analyze automation system performance, collect, and analyze data, and generate reports to drive continuous improvement initiatives.
- Stay abreast of emerging technologies, industry trends, and best practices in automation and robotics integration.
- Adhere to company policies, procedures, and safety guidelines.
- Excellent communication skills in both written and spoken formats
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills
- Must have superb problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Must have high aptitude for mechanics
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to analyze data, identify trends, and implement process improvements.
- Continuous improvement mindset and a passion for staying updated with the latest advancements in automation and robotics.
- Familiarity with CAD software for designing automation layouts and equipment interfaces.
- Lean Trained – certification a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or a related field. Advanced degree is a plus.
- Strong knowledge of automation engineering principles, robotics systems, and manufacturing processes.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in automation engineering, robotics integration, or a related field.
- Proficiency in programming languages such as PLC, HMI, and robot-specific programming languages (e.g., ABB, Fanuc, KUKA).
- Experience with the integration of robotics systems, including programming, setup, and troubleshooting.
- MS Office Applications (Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, Outlook, etc…) proficiency required
- Must possess current and valid driving record with clear history for the past three years
- Extended periods of sitting and/or walking (33% – 75% of time)
- Stooping, bending, twisting, leaning (10% – 25% of time)
- Lifting of up to 25 lbs. occasionally (0% – 33% of time)
- Frequent work in a manufacturing environment where the use of proper protective equipment (PPE) such as eye protection, hearing protection and safety shoes is mandatory.