- Do you excel at problem-solving?
- Are you highly detail-oriented?
- Do you have vast knowledge in composite materials, manufacturing processes, and techniques used in the production of carbon fiber composite parts?
- Does working for a family-centric organization based in a small-town environment appeal to you?
- Do the values of stewardship, versatility, and family resonate strongly with you?
- Do you find the improvement of people’s lives through stewardship of God-given resources inspiring?
Then Kaspar Outdoors is for you!
The Composite Process Engineer will play a vital role in the development and improvement of the manufacturing process for carbon fiber composite rifle stocks. This position requires a strong background in composite materials and manufacturing processes, with a focus on optimizing efficiency, quality, and cost-effectiveness. The engineer will work closely with cross-functional teams to ensure smooth production flow and drive continuous improvement initiatives.
Position Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Develop, optimize, and document manufacturing processes for carbon fiber composite rifle stocks, ensuring adherence to quality standards, safety regulations, and production goals.
- Conduct feasibility studies, process capability assessments, and cost analyses to identify opportunities for process improvement and implement appropriate solutions.
- Collaborate with design and engineering teams to ensure manufacturability of new product designs and provide input on materials, tooling, and production techniques.
- Develop and maintain standard operating procedures (SOPs) and work instructions for composite manufacturing processes.
- Troubleshoot manufacturing issues, identify root causes, and implement corrective actions to minimize production downtime and ensure consistent product quality.
- Work closely with vendors and suppliers to evaluate and select materials, equipment, and tooling for composite manufacturing processes.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including R&D, Quality Assurance, and Production, to drive continuous improvement initiatives and resolve manufacturing-related issues.
- Conduct training sessions for production personnel on composite manufacturing processes, ensuring proper understanding and adherence to established procedures.
- Perform regular process audits to ensure compliance with quality standards, identify areas for improvement, and implement best practices.
- Stay up-to-date with advancements in composite materials, manufacturing processes, and industry trends, and make recommendations for process enhancements and technology upgrades.
- Support new product development initiatives by providing input on material selection, process capabilities, and manufacturing feasibility.
- Participate in design reviews and provide feedback on manufacturability, cost optimization, and process efficiency.
- Collaborate with the quality team to develop and implement inspection and testing protocols for composite parts.
- Assist in the evaluation and implementation of automation and robotics solutions to improve manufacturing efficiency and reduce labor costs.
- Adhere to company policies, procedures, and safety guidelines.
- Excellent communication skills in both written and spoken formats
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills
- Must have superb problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Must have high aptitude for mechanics
- Strong foundation in material science
- Lean Trained – certification a plus
- Experience in composite manufacturing processes: manual layup, AFP, hot press, assembly processes, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, or a related field. Advanced degree is a plus
- Experience with composite cutting tables (Gerber, Zund, Eastman, etc) is a plus.
- Strong knowledge of composite materials, manufacturing processes, and techniques used in the production of carbon fiber composite parts.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in composite manufacturing, preferably in the firearms or sporting goods industry.
- MS Office Applications (Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, Outlook, etc…) proficiency required
- Must possess current and valid driving record with clear history for the past three years
- Extended periods of sitting and/or walking (33% – 75% of time)
- Stooping, bending, twisting, leaning (10% – 25% of time)
- Lifting of up to 25 lbs. occasionally (0% – 33% of time)
- Frequent work in a manufacturing environment where the use of proper protective equipment (PPE) such as eye protection, hearing protection and safety shoes is mandatory.