The Design Engineer plays a key role in the product development process by creating innovative designs, tooling, conducting analysis and simulations, and collaborating with cross-functional teams to bring new products to market in addition to reverse engineering. This position requires a strong background in engineering principles, proficiency in CAD software, and a deep understanding of manufacturing processes. The Design Engineer will be responsible for translating both internal and external customer requirements into robust and manufacturable designs while ensuring adherence to quality standards and project timelines.
Position Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Be responsible for designing innovate models and drawings of both customers and inhouse parts for manufacturability
- Use SolidWorks to create drawings and models from verbal customer design intake calls
- Work with customers in an iterative design approach to provide tailored design solution
- Maintain organized CAD library
- Apply design for manufacturability (DFM) and design for assembly (DFA) principles to develop designs that are cost-effective and efficient to manufacture.
- Perform tolerance analysis to ensure design robustness and compatibility with manufacturing processes.
- Determine root causes of failures using statistical methods and recommend changes in the process.
- Work with Jig and Fixturing to design work-holdings for production
- Work with CNC programmers to ensure that drawings are provided in a correct and acceptable tolerance range
- Utilize metal fabrication, welding, and other expertise to implement mistake proofing control methods to increase quality, productivity and reduce costs of manufacturing
- Generate engineering documentation, including specifications, bills of materials (BOMs), and test reports.
- Work closely with manufacturing engineering to ensure new products are designed to be manufactured efficiently
- Participate in GEMBA walks and kaizen events
- Adhere to company policies, procedures, and safety guidelines.
- Excellent communication skills in both written and spoken formats
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills
- Strong working knowledge of CAD software
- Experience in both hard and organic modeling techniques
- Experience drafting engineering drawing and conduction tolerance stack up analysis (GD&T) is a plus
- Must have superb problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize both daily issues and strategic projects
- Must have high aptitude for mechanics
- Strong foundation in material science
- The ability to fabricate prototypes, iterate rapidly from concept to high volume production
- Capability to work closely with department supervision and production workers
- Degree in Mechanical, Industrial Engineering encouraged
- 3+ years of experience in a Design Engineering role
- Lean Trained – certification a plus
- Metal working industry experience
- 3+ years of SolidWorks Experience
- MS Office Applications (Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, Outlook, etc…) proficiency required
- Must possess current and valid driving record with clear history for the past three years
- Extended periods of sitting and/or walking (33% – 75% of time)
- Stooping, bending, twisting, leaning (10% – 25% of time)
- Lifting of up to 25 lbs. occasionally (0% – 33% of time)
- Frequent work in a manufacturing environment where the use of proper protective equipment (PPE) such as eye protection, hearing protection and safety shoes is mandatory