The Manufacturing Engineer plays a crucial role in optimizing manufacturing processes, improving production efficiency, and ensuring product quality. This position requires a strong background in manufacturing engineering principles, process improvement methodologies, and lean manufacturing techniques. The engineer will collaborate with cross-functional teams to analyze current production methods, develop and implement process enhancements, and support the organization’s overall manufacturing objectives.
Position Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Analyze existing manufacturing processes, identify areas for improvement, and develop innovative solutions to optimize productivity, reduce costs, and enhance product quality.
- Participate in new product development activities, providing input on design for manufacturability (DFM) and assembly (DFA) principles.
- Develop and implement standardized work instructions, standard operating procedures (SOPs), and process control plans to ensure consistent and efficient production.
- Conduct time and motion studies, line balancing, and capacity analysis to optimize production flow and eliminate bottlenecks.
- Apply lean manufacturing principles to identify and eliminate waste, implement continuous improvement initiatives, and drive operational excellence.
- Collaborate with suppliers and vendors to evaluate and select appropriate manufacturing equipment, tools, and technologies.
- Perform root cause analysis and implement corrective actions to address manufacturing issues, including non-conforming products, equipment malfunctions, and process deviations.
- Develop and maintain manufacturing documentation, including process flowcharts, work instructions, and equipment maintenance records.
- Support production teams by providing technical guidance, training, and troubleshooting assistance.
- Identify opportunities for automation and robotics integration to improve manufacturing efficiency and reduce manual labor requirements.
- Stay updated with industry trends, emerging technologies, and best practices in manufacturing engineering.
- Collaborate with quality assurance teams to develop and implement inspection and testing protocols to ensure product quality and adherence to specifications.
- Support cost reduction initiatives by identifying opportunities for material and process optimization.
- Participate in cross-functional teams for process validation, equipment qualification, and new product introductions.
- Adhere to company policies, procedures, and safety guidelines.
- Excellent communication skills in both written and spoken formats
- Ability to optimize fabrication equipment, tool design experience
- Experience with turret punch presses, press brakes, tube bender, laser cutting, and welding automation a plus.
- Proficiency in CAD/CAM software and familiarity with engineering drawing interpretation.
- Must have superb problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize both daily issues and strategic projects
- Must have high aptitude for mechanics
- Ability to work closely with department supervision and production workers
- BS in Engineering (industrial or mechanical preferred)
- 2+ years of experience in a Manufacturing Engineering role
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing engineering principles, processes, and methodologies.
- Familiarity with lean manufacturing concepts and tools (e.g., 5S, Kaizen, Value Stream Mapping, Six Sigma).
- Metal working industry experience
- Experience in SolidWorks and with CAM software such as Master CAM, AP100US, FabriWin, BendPro, ProNest, Steel Solutions
- MS Office Applications (Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, Outlook, etc…) proficiency required
- Must possess current and valid driving record with clear history for the past three years
- Extended periods of sitting and/or walking (33% – 75% of time)
- Stooping, bending, twisting, leaning (10% – 25% of time)
- Lifting of up to 25 lbs. occasionally (0% – 33% of time)
- Frequent work in a manufacturing environment where the use of proper protective equipment (PPE) such as eye protection, hearing protection and safety shoes is mandatory